Choosing a new TV in Kenya can be overwhelming with the wide variety of options available today.
With different sizes, display types, smart capabilities, and more to consider, it’s important to understand which features are most suitable for your needs and budget.
This detailed guide covers key factors to weigh when shopping for a TV in Kenya so you can make the best purchase decision.
Determine the Right Screen Size
One of the first things to decide is what size TV makes sense for your room and typical viewing distance. As a general rule of thumb:
- 32-43 inches is best for smaller rooms where you sit 4-8 feet away.
- 50-60 inches works well for medium-sized spaces with 8-10 feet viewing distance.
- 65 inches and up is ideal for large rooms where you sit 10 feet or more back.
Measure your room and current furniture setup to visualize the right fit.
Also consider any future plans, like moving to a different home, so you buy a TV with long-term versatility in mind.
Compare Display Types in Kenya
Today’s TVs come in three main display types:
LED – This is the most popular and affordable display technology. LED TVs use many small LED lights as a backlight. They offer good picture quality but can lack consistency across the screen.
OLED – Considered the best display, OLED (organic light-emitting diode) TVs have self-illuminating pixels that switch off when not in use. This produces perfect blacks and infinite contrast. OLED is more expensive but provides the ultimate viewing experience.
QLED – Quantum dot LED TVs offer an enhanced LED backlight with a wider color spectrum. QLED improves on traditional LED with better brightness and more vivid, accurate colors. It sits between LED and OLED.
Think about your typical viewing – like bright rooms or dark movie nights – and budget to pick the right display tech.
OLED is ideal for home theaters while LED and QLED work well in family rooms.
Determine Necessary Features
Today’s smart TVs come packed with features, so decide what capabilities matter most to you:
- Streaming apps – Most smart TVs support popular services like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, YouTube and more. Choose a model with the apps you use.
- Voice controls – Many TVs have built-in voice assistants so you can change channels, search titles, and more completely hands-free. This adds great convenience.
- Gaming – If you plan to game on your TV, ensure it has gaming-friendly specs like low input lag, fast refresh rates, and HDMI 2.1 ports. Some TVs even optimize settings for gaming.
- Connectivity – Check that the TV has enough HDMI ports for your devices and that it supports current standards like HDMI 2.1 and WiFi 6. More ports and cutting-edge connectivity provide greater future-proofing.
Knowing how you’ll use your TV guides you in choosing the right capabilities. Prioritize the features that best match your lifestyle and are within budget.
Compare Major TV Brands in Kenya
While features are most important, also weigh the differences between brands like:
- Samsung – Known for QLED displays and innovating on design, smart features and more. Provides a wide range of quality options from budget to luxury.
- Sony – Offers some of the best picture processing powered by their X1 processor. Also has excellent upscaling of HD to 4K. Their OLED TVs are highly-regarded.
- LG – Pioneered OLED TV technology and makes panels for other brands. Known for ultra-slim designs and smart OS with AI capabilities. Great for gaming.
- Vizio – Leading budget-friendly brand that still provides good performance for the price. Offers sleek, pared-down designs.
Consider your budget and the brand reputation for things like display quality, smart software, design aesthetic and more.
Compare Real-World Performance
Rather than just looking at specs, also compare real-world tests from expert reviewers. Sites like Rtings.com do in-depth analysis on factors like:
- Picture quality in different environments
- Motion handling for sports and movies
- Input lag for responsiveness when gaming
- Sound with and without a soundbar
- Ease of use of the smart interface
These real-world tests validate how a TV actually performs. Leverage them along with specs to make the best selection.
Find the Right Balance for Your Budget
With so many options, it’s easy to overspend on a TV.
Determine a comfortable budget for your situation then find the best combination of size, features and performance at that price point.
Consider savings on more expensive models through seasonal sales events or retailer open-box deals.
Do some upfront research on the top-rated TVs in your price range. Comparing specs, brands, and real-world reviews makes it easier to identify the ideal balance of performance, features and price for your unique needs.
With these tips in mind, you’ll end up with technology that delivers on your viewing expectations.
Choosing a new television involves more factors than ever before.
Keep your specific needs and budget top of mind as you weigh display type, smart capabilities, brand reputation, real-world performance and more.
Taking a strategic approach allows you to cut through the overload of options and confidently invest in a TV that delivers exceptional home entertainment for years to come.
Focus on the right size, features and overall value fit for you.