Last updated on August 7th, 2022 at 06:08 pm
In this article, you are going to learn about the difference between smart TVs and digital TVs in Kenya.
See, TVs are quickly becoming outdated. Digital TVs died off long ago, and the new trend in HD is Smart TV.
People have started to buy these sets because they offer a much more interactive experience than traditional televisions do.
They are smarter, faster, and can stream live content with voice control features that aren’t available on old-school TVs.
But what exactly is a Smart TV? And how does it compare to other types of sets?
As you’ll see below, there are some fairly significant differences between them all.
What is a smart TV in Kenya?
A Smart TV in Kenya is a television that has an integrated platform for playing internet-based video content. Because they are built on the latest technology, these sets offer viewers access to all of their favorite channels and streaming services without having to switch between devices or input passwords (as in other set-top boxes)
A digital TV on the other hand is what we’re all used to. It is the type of television that has a tuner built into it for receiving over-the-air broadcasts.
Uses digital transmissions to broadcast audio and video, as opposed to analog transmissions in the more archaic form of television from decades past.
So, what is the difference between a smart TV and digital TV in Kenya?
1). Screen size
The first difference most people notice when looking at a smart television versus an older one is the screen size.
A 15 inch TFT LCD display might be considered “smart” by today’s standards due to its high resolution.
2). Operating system
The second and major difference between smart TVs and digital TVs in Kenya is all about the technology powering these sets.
Older televisions are powered by a cathode ray tube (CRT). This type of set can be bulky and difficult to move around in addition to being heavy.
Smart TVs, on the other hand, use liquid crystal display panels (LCD) or light-emitting diodes (LEDs) which makes them more compact and energy-efficient when compared with older models.
The most popular types of LCD displays used today include LED-backlit screens.
They are actually considered brighter than plasma or OLED screens due to their ability to produce better color contrast ratio values that traditional CCFL backlight units cannot provide.
3). Connecting to the internet
One big advantage smart TVs have over traditional CRT or LCD TVs is their ability to connect with the internet.
This allows you to stream content from various sources such as Netflix, Hulu, and HBO GO.
It also means that they can be used for social media purposes like Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook.
Another difference between smart TVs and digital TVs is the inclusion of features known as widgets.
These widget-type apps provide quick access to your favorite shows, movies, sports channels in addition to other types of content including music streaming.
Here are some examples:
- Netflix gives users instant access to a vast selection of popular films all available on-demand.
- Hulu offers free episodes along with an ad-supported service for people who want to watch their favorite shows live
- HBO GO is a subscription service that lets users stream the newest movies from HBO, like Game of Thrones and True Detective.
- Spotify offers playlists created by experts in genres such as jazz or rock. Users have access to all their music on demand while at home or when they’re not connected with Spotify’s offline mode option which lets people download content for listening on the go without an internet connection.
A Smart TV is more expensive than a Digital TV because it also includes features like apps, Wi-Fi, and internet connectivity.
A digital TV still offers the same conveniences as streaming but does not include these other components that make television sets smart.
Digital TVs use a coaxial cable for connecting it to the television set while a Smart TV connects wirelessly using Wi-Fi.
Smarter TVs come with many benefits over regular analog displays such as better audio quality, a lack of need for an external box, and the ability to access content through internet-connected services.
8). Streaming capabilities
A digital TV can play only prerecorded material, while you can stream live programming through your smart TV.
In short, if you want to watch something as it happens then get yourself a Smart TV!
Being able to simply log into Netflix or Amazon Prime Video from the comfort of your couch makes it easier than ever to forget about those DVDs piling up next to your TV.
These are the major difference between smart TVs and digital TVs in Kenya.
Smart TV pros and cons
- Multiple apps and web browsers for quick access to everything you need on the go
- An intuitive user interface that makes browsing easy, with scannable menus that know what you’re looking for before you do
- Access to the internet
- Supports features like voice commands and video calling
- For gamers, no need to invest in a separate game console, smart tv gives you the ability to connect your laptop or tablet and use it as a second screen.
- Better image quality than digital thanks to improved resolutions
- Can’t get DVD or blu ray movies as easily as digital TV
- Sometimes has more expensive monthly fees than Digital TV
- If your internet is slow then this could not be a good choice for viewing content online
- Many times, people find themselves overwhelmed by all the features and settings available in a smart tv which discourages them from using it to its full potential, there is also a downside to having so many options.
Digital TV pros and cons
- Digital TVs offer channels that are free since they don’t need an internet connection
- Digital TVs typically come without any fancy features like voice control or wireless connectivity so people don’t get overwhelmed by what they can do with their new set – which means more time spent just enjoying your show instead of trying to figure out how everything works!
- Not able to add more channels through online subscription packages because most networks offer them these days.
- Does not provide access to video on demand like some premium cable channels do.
We hope this article has helped you understand the difference between smart TVs and digital TVs!
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below.
Today’s Best Deals
Deal Alert! WEYON 32 – Inch Digital D-LED TV (32LK500BPTA) Now KSh 10,399 (48% Off)
KSh 21,450 Now KSh 14,095 (+Free Wall Mount)
KSh 41,599 Now KSh 35,900
Buy at KSh 12,899 (Black + Free 5 Gifts)
KSh 26,869 Now KSh 22,990 (+Free 6 Gifts)
Buy at KSh 11,799 (+Wall Mount)
Buy now at KSh 14,799 (+Wall Mount)
We check over 10,000+ products every day for the best sales & deals.
All smart TV prices are as at the time of publishing.
Best Picks: Best TV Brands |Best TVs Under 10k | Best 43 Inch TVs | Best Syinix TVs | Best Digital TVs| Best Hisense TVs | 32-inch Smart TVs|Smart TV Features |Best TV to buy |Best Smart TV Aerial |Best Smart TV 2022|Cheapest Smart TV
Compare: Samsung vs LG TVs| Smart TV vs. Digital TVs |Smart TV vs. Android TV Reviews: Syinix 43A1s Review |Also read: Is it smart to buy a smart TV in Kenya? | 7 Things I Love About Samsung Smart TV in Kenya | What To Ask Before Buying A Smart Tv In Kenya