Is TCL better than Vizio?
When it comes to budget-friendly smart TVs, TCL and Vizio are two of the biggest names on the market. But which provides the better value and viewing experience?
This in-depth comparison examines key factors like picture quality, smart features, design, and more to reveal whether TCL or Vizio comes out on top.
Overview of TCL and Vizio
First, let’s provide a quick overview of these two popular value TV brands:
- Chinese electronics company
- Manufactures TVs since the 1980s
- Gained popularity in US in recent years
- Focus on budget-friendly smart TVs
- Use Roku TV platform for smart features
- Range of screen sizes from small to very large
- Competitively priced vs major brands
- American company founded in 2002
- Specializes in affordable smart TVs
- Proprietary SmartCast smart platform
- Range of HD, 4K, and OLED models
- Screen sizes from 40” up to 85”
- Aims to provide premium features at budget pricing
Both brands cater to budget-conscious shoppers looking for a solid smart TV experience without breaking the bank.
But which one ultimately delivers the better performance and value? Let’s compare them across some key factors.
Picture Quality Comparison
Arguably the most important criteria for any TV is picture quality. Here’s how TCL and Vizio smart TVs stack up:
- 4K resolution – Both provide Ultra HD 4K resolution on most models for sharp, detailed images.
- HDR support – Each supports HDR video for enhanced contrast and colors. However, only some premium Vizio models offer Dolby Vision HDR.
- Backlighting – Vizio generally uses more robust backlighting, contributing to better contrast on their sets.
- Color accuracy – Vizio also edges out TCL when it comes to color accuracy out of the box.
- Motion handling – Vizio TVs perform better with fast action content like sports, though neither excel in this area.
- Viewing angles – Both suffer from degraded picture at wider angles, with TCL dipping a little more. Vizio holds up slightly better.
Winner: Vizio – While TCL continues improving, Vizio still maintains a slight edge in overall picture quality.
But TCL is certainly no slouch in this department.
Smart TV Features Comparison
Of course, today’s TVs are about much more than just picture quality – smart functionality is also essential. Here’s the smart TV rundown:
- Smart platform – TCL uses the acclaimed Roku TV platform, while Vizio has its own SmartCast platform. Roku TV is generally considered more refined and robust.
- App selection – Both offer all the major streaming apps like Netflix and Hulu, but Roku TV has several thousand apps total vs just a few hundred for SmartCast.
- Voice assistants – Roku TV wins again, supporting Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Siri voice control. Vizio dropped Alexa and Siri support in 2022.
- Smart home integration – Roku allows linking Roku devices to Google Home or Alexa for expanded smart control.
- Search and discovery – Finding content is easier with Roku TV’s universal search and customizable home screen over Vizio’s more basic content browsing.
Winner: TCL – The Roku TV platform outperforms Vizio SmartCast in nearly every way, giving TCL the edge for smart features and usability.
While less critical than functionality, aesthetic design still plays a role in the TV viewing experience. Here’s how the brands’ designs and styling compare:
- Build quality – Both use plenty of plastic in their constructions to save costs. TCL perhaps feels a bit cheaper, but not by much.
- Bezel size – Vizio generally has thinner, sleeker bezels around the display panel, providing a more streamlined look.
- Stands – TCL and Vizio both use simple, no-frills stands in most models. Vizio stands allow a bit more flexibility for positioning.
- Wall mounting – All sets accommodate industry standard VESA wall mounts. Easier to mount TCL TVs flush to the wall due to their thicker panels.
- Rear design – Both arrange ports in tidy recessed areas rather than sticking out from the back. Vizio hides connecting cables better for a cleaner look.
- Styling – Mostly a matter of taste, but many find Vizio’s subtle design more refined looking compared to TCL’s very basic industrial styling.
Winner: Vizio – With trimmer bezels and subtly sleeker aesthetics, Vizio TVs win this category based on design appeals. But smart shoppers will value performance over styling.
Size Options Comparison
Having a range of sizes to choose from is always important. Here’s how TCL and Vizio compare:
- Screen sizes – TCL wins for having both smaller 24” up to massive 98” options. Vizio smallest is 40” and tops out at 85”.
- 4K model availability – Both have full 4K resolution starting from their smallest models. However, TCL also offers budget 720p HD models that Vizio lacks.
- Big screen pricing – Large 65” and up models cost a bit less from TCL. Their 98” model is thousands less than Vizio’s 85” unit.
Winner: TCL – With more size variety spanning smaller to outrageously huge screens, TCL takes this category. Vizio also trails on large screen affordability.
Price and Value Comparison
Given their positioning as value brands, pricing and overall value are pivotal considerations. Here’s how they stack up:
- Base pricing – Entry-level 720p or 1080p models are less expensive from TCL. Vizio’s cheapest options are 1080p or 4K.
- Mid-range pricing – Comparable spec’ed models in the 40” to 65” range are very similarly priced between the two brands.
- Upper range pricing – TCL consistently undercuts Vizio on premium large screen sizes, offering substantial savings over the 85” Vizio.
- Sales prices – Both brands frequently see major discounts, making deals easy to find. TCL sale prices tend to dip a bit lower at times.
- Value assessment – Overall, TCL offers a small edge in pure value, delivering equal performance to Vizio models for slightly less cost.
Winner: TCL – While tight, TCL wins the value race by a nose with rock-bottom pricing on entry models and large screens that undercut Vizio.
Verdict: TCL vs Vizio
Analyzing all the key factors, TCL just barely squeezes out a victory as the better value smart TV brand:
- Picture quality lags slightly behind Vizio but provides extremely solid 4K viewing for the money.
- TCL smart TVs powered by Roku TV are superior in features and usability to Vizio’s SmartCast.
- Vizio TVs are marginally more stylish but many buyers rightly care more about performance.
- TCL offers both smaller and gigantic screens at very affordable pricing.
- Both are great budget-friendly options but TCL delivers a little more bang for the buck overall.
For shoppers on tight budgets who still want a full-featured 4K smart TV, both TCL and Vizio represent terrific options.
But when directly compared, TCL emerges as the winner in this head-to-head battle of the budget TV brands.
The combination of solid picture quality, the acclaimed Roku TV platform, and competitive pricing make TCL hard to beat.
Vizio remains a very good value choice in their own right however.
Those who prefer the styling or specific features of Vizio will be well served by choosing that brand.
But for most discerning shoppers, TCL represents the smarter buy – which is exactly what buyers want from a value brand.
Today’s Best Deals
Deal Alert! WEYON 32 – Inch Digital D-LED TV (32LK500BPTA) Now KSh 10,399 (48% Off)
KSh 21,450 Now KSh 14,095 (+Free Wall Mount)
KSh 41,599 Now KSh 35,900
Buy at KSh 12,899 (Black + Free 5 Gifts)
KSh 26,869 Now KSh 22,990 (+Free 6 Gifts)
Buy at KSh 11,799 (+Wall Mount)
Buy now at KSh 14,799 (+Wall Mount)
We check over 10,000+ products every day for the best sales & deals.
All smart TV prices are as at the time of publishing.
Best Picks: Best TV Brands |Best TVs Under 10k | Best 43 Inch TVs | Best Syinix TVs | Best Digital TVs| Best Hisense TVs | 32-inch Smart TVs|Smart TV Features |Best TV to buy |Best Smart TV Aerial |Best Smart TV 2022|Cheapest Smart TV
Compare: Samsung vs LG TVs| Smart TV vs. Digital TVs |Smart TV vs. Android TV Reviews: Syinix 43A1s Review |Also read: Is it smart to buy a smart TV in Kenya? | 7 Things I Love About Samsung Smart TV in Kenya | What To Ask Before Buying A Smart Tv In Kenya